Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Pie lovin'

I rewatched Waitress the other day and felt the urge to make pies! Online I found some recipes for Jenna's pies. I decided on the Falling In Love Chocolate Mousse pie simply because I hardly had to buy any ingredients and it sounded great. 

While at the grocery store I called my mom with a question and upon hearing I was making a pie she insisted I make 2, the second being a Strawberry Cream Pie that she made recently. I had made 2 pie crusts and strawberry pie sounded good as well, so I made both!

We tried both pies after supper tonight and both were great! Omman and I both liked the strawberry one better, but if you were in the mood for chocolate the other would really hit the spot. Both are pretty rich. 
In the past I have made mostly apple pies, maybe a strawberry once, but always double crust pies with filling baked in. This then was the first time I baked a crust by itself to fill with a cold filling. I love the creaminess of both these pies and definately want to make more pies this way.

Falling In Love Chocolate Mousse Pie
9-inch baked pastry shell
1 (14 oz) can condensed milk (not evaporated)
2/3 C water
1 (4 serving) pkg chocolate pudding mix (not instant) Note: I only found a pkg that made 6 servings so I just used 2/3 of it.
1 oz square unsweetened chocolate
2 C (1 pint) whipping cream, stiffly whipped

In large saucepan, combine condensed milk, water and pudding mix; mix well. Add chocolate. Over medium heat, cook and stir rapidly until chocolate melts and mixture thickens. Remove from heat, beat until smooth. Cool. Chill thoroughly; stir. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into prepared pastry shell. Chill 4 hours until set.

Serves 8

Strawberry Cream Pie
8 oz cream cheese
1/3 C sugar
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 C whipping cream
4 C strawberries
1 Tbs shortening
some chocolate to melt and drizzle (I used 4 oz squares)

Beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add sugar and almond extract and blend well. In separate bowl beat 1 C cream until it is fluffy. Fold the cream into the cream cheese mixture. Pour this into the prepared crust. Arrange strawberries on top, points up. Chill while preparing the chocolte. Meanwhile, melt 1 Tbs shortening with some chocolate. Maybe let it cool just a bit so its not too warm, then take the pie out and drizzle the chocolate over it. Chill and serve!

Serves 8









No comments: